Cushman & Wakefield was founded in New York, N.Y., on October 31, 1917, by brothers-in-law J. Clydesdale Cushman and Bernard Wakefield. Expanding first throughout the United States and then globally, today Cushman & Wakefield has 253 offices in 59 countries with more than 15,000 talented professionals who deliver quality services to its diversified global client base.
Our history reflects our commitment to serving our clients and our continuous efforts to evolve in response to our clients’ needs.
- Healey & Baker, Cushman & Wakefield’s future European operation, is started in London by George Healey, who took building leases on Crown lands to the east and north of Regents Park at the time when Regents Street was being built.
- George Healey’s son, Alfred, becomes a partner in the firm, and the company greatly expands its activities in London, in particular the Bayswater Road area.
- George Henry Baker joins Healey’s firm. Bernard Wakefield arrives in the United States from England, where since the age of 21 he had been managing a real estate office.
- Cushman & Wakefield is incorporated in New York by J. Clydesdale Cushman and Bernard Wakefield.
- George Henry Baker becomes a partner and the firm becomes known as Healey & Baker, focusing on commercial property.
- Cushman & Wakefield becomes a market leader in all real estate services throughout the regional New York area.
- Healey & Baker the Netherlands was founded and based in Amsterdam.
- RCA Corp. sold its stake to The Rockefeller Group. In 1989, The Rockefeller Group further strengthened its position in commercial real estate when Mitsubishi Estate Co. Ltd., one of the world’s largest real estate companies, became its majority shareholder.
- Presence in Europe established through the acquisition of Healey & Baker.
- C&W worldwide partnership is established with major real estate services firms in the U.S., Europe, Asia, South America, Mexico, and Canada.
- Cushman & Wakefield establishes its own office in Romania, Central Europe’s second biggest market after Poland. Cushman & Wakefield purchases Cushman & Wakefield Mexico.
- IFIL (now known as EXOR), the investment group of the Agnelli family, one of Europe's leading entrepreneurial families, listed on the Italian stock exchange , acquires an approximately 70 percent stake in Cushman & Wakefield becoming the firm’s majority shareholder. Cushman & Wakefield management and employees retained the balance of shares, creating strong alignment.
- Cushman & Wakefield is named the exclusive leasing agent for One World Trade Center by the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey.
- Cushman & Wakefield celebrates its 90th anniversary.
- Jan-Willem Bastijn becomess Managing Partner of C&W in the Netherlands.
- Glenn Rufrano named President & CEO.
- Cushman & Wakefield establishes in Rotterdam
- Cushman & Wakefield acquires full ownership of Corporate Occupier Solutions (COS), Ltd. , formerly a joint venture between Cushman & Wakefield and EC Harris to provide integrated facility, project, transaction, and asset management services to corporate real estate client across EMEA.
- On 1 September 2015 the merger between Cushman & Wakefield and DTZ was successfully completed. The new Cushman & Wakefield draws on the best of both legacy organizations to create one of the world’s largest real estate services firms. LEARN MORE